Unable to Initialize Steam API error occurs every time during the launch and hence stops the users to launch the game. There are many reasons causing this error on the user’s computer, steam clients, or settings. But no one gets a clear solution for Unable to Initialize Steam API error. However, some users have tried some methods to solve this error and we have gathered some of them to help you out to fix the Unable to Initialize Steam API error.
How to Fix Unable to Initialize Steam API Error
Solution 1 — Reinstall Steam
Reinstalling Steam will help you to resolve this problem, but before that, we have to uninstall the Steam which will delete your game files that need to be re-downloaded later on. The steps are mentioned below :
1. Double click on the Steam to open it or search it in the Start menu and select the option at the top.
2. When it opens, click on the Steam button on the top right part and select Settings from the dropdown menu. Look for the Downloads tab and then click on Steam Library files.
3. You will see a list of libraries you use and the folders you should keep in mind while backing up. You will find that the default folder is C:\Program Files(x86)\steam.
4. Open any folder and click on This PC or My Computer in the right pane. Open the above location and find the steamapps folder.
5. Copy the folder and paste it anywhere outside the Steam folder. It would be best if you paste it on Desktop.
6. Do the same for all other folders. And after you uninstall Steam add all the folders again in the Steam Library as done before.
Once you are done with backing up the game installation, continue with uninstalling steam from your computer. The steps are here :
1. First of all log in with an admin account because only admin can uninstall programs.
2. Check that you have performed the steps mentioned above for every folder in you computer and note their proper location to add them back after reinstalling the Steam.
3. If you are using Windows 10 click on the gear icon to open settings. Otherwise, open Control Panel by clicking the Start menu.
4. Select view as Category from the top right corner and then click on Uninstall a program from the Programs section.
5. In the Setting app, a list will open when you click on the Apps.
6. Look for the Steam entry and click on it. Uninstall it by clicking on the button above the list and confirm the dialogue boxes appearing. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the Steam and then restart your computer.
Solution 2 — Opt-out of Steam Beta and Restart Steam
1. Double-click on your Steam PC client to open it on your Desktop or search for it in the Start menu and select the first option that appeared.
2. At the top of the client’s screen menu click on the Steam option and choose Settings. Click the change button under the Beta participation section, while staying in the account tab in the Settings
3. Check again under the Beta participation, and then press to open the drop-down menu. Select the “Note: Opt-out of all beta programs” option. And save the changes made.
4. Now exit the Steam completely. For this click on the Steam Window and select Steam option at the top left par. Click on Exit. (Do not use the x button on the top right corner to exit).
5. Using the Task Manager kill all the Steam-related processes. Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together to open the Task Manager.
6. Use the Ctrl + Alt + Del key together, pop up blue screen will appear, select Task Manager from there. Else search it in the Start menu.
7. To expand the Task Manager, click on more details at the bottom left part of the windows. Search for any Steam-related processes, namely, Steam.exe, Steam Client Bootstrapper, or GameOverlayUI.exe. They will be found in the background processes. Click on the End Task option from the lower right part by selecting them one by one.
8. A warning message will appear about how ending various processes may affect your PC. Just click on yes and confirm it.
9. At last, follow the instructions from the first step and launch the game to re-open the client.
If the above solution fails to satisfy you, try out running the Steam.exe. client as an Administrator:
1. Look for the Steam.exe. file in Windows, then select Properties by right-clicking on it.
2. In the properties, Windows chose the Compatibility tab and check the box next to it for running it as an Administrator.
3. Click on OK, but make sure you accept all the pop-ups that appeared to launch the admin privileges.
Solution 3 — Disable Auto-Containment on Comodo
If you have the Comodo Antivirus, you have faced some problems as this program sometimes blocks innocent programs by using its automatically activated option, i.e., Auto-Containment. So you should disable it or delete the game’s executable from the blocked program lists.
1. Double-click the Comodo Internet Security on the desktop or the System Tray to open it.
2. Click on the Settings tab from the home screen and locate the Containment tab. You can open the sub-section by clicking on it.
3. After this, you will see a checkbox appearing at the top of the Windows asking to enable it. Just uncheck it to disable its feature to block certain programs from running.
4. A list will appear below, navigate to the game’s executable and turn off the slider to stop blocking the apps. Save and changes made and restart the game.
Solution 4 — Make an Exception for the Game’s Executable in Firewall
1. At first, open Control Panel then, search for this tool in the Start button or by pressing the Search magnifying glass or the circular Cortona button on the left side of your Taskbar.
2. After you open the Control Panel, locate the Windows Firewall Option by navigating to the bottom of it and change the view to large or small icons.
3. Now, click on the Windows Defender Firewall and then select Allow an app or feature from the left side list of options. A list will open. Navigate to the location of the problematic game’s entry and tick the boxes beside both the public and private networks.
4. At last, click on OK. Restart your computer and then re-launch the problematic game using steam. Check whether the error “Unable to initialize Steam API” message still occurs.
The above solutions will surely help you out to resolve this error. If you still encounter any issue regarding Unable to Initialize Steam API error, you may ask us. However, you can start this method again from the beginning if you face any problem during using the methods mentioned.